Jazz From Afar LIVE 2021 (December/ January edition)
A learn-from-home 4-week African American Vernacular Jazz course with Cat Foley for Lindy Hoppers and Jazz Dancers! The theme is: Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.
15 min Simple breakdown of ‘root’ move(s) for that class, suitable for newer dancers
45 min Open level material
15 min Challenge zone!
We’ll be exploring:
– OG dancers and musicians, history and cultural context of the Swing era.
– The joy of moving to music.
– Exercises to build up classic moves and how to put them together excellently.
– How we express rhythm through our body and how we interpret music.
– The history of The 100 Club in London.
Wednesday December 30th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Wednesday January 6th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Wednesday January 13th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Wednesday January 20th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Follow this link for more info and the google form to sign up!
Option 1) Follow-along classes (of approximately 1 hour per week) streamed live AND recorded, plus a weekly Q&A session for additional support.
Option 2) The above plus feedback on your practice videos.
We are living in tricky times, so I am offering for you to self-select your fee. If you’re struggling financially, I’m open to offering it as a cheer-up gift! No worries at all- just talk to me about it.
Option 1) Suggested contribution approx £20-£30
Option 2) Suggested contribution approx £30-£40
The Jazz Centre UK, funded by Arts Council England are offering free spots for English residents, as part of a National Lottery Heritage Fund project exploring the history of the 100 club called “Jazz at the 100 Club Project”. Feel free to pop me an email for more info about this, or select the option in the form below and I’ll be in touch 🙂
Learn more about the Jazz Centre UK’s project “Jazz at the 100 Club: Bringing History to Life” on the link: https://www.thejazzcentreuk.co.uk/100-club
– I will send an email with a Zoom link to all listed participants at 17:30 UK-time every Wednesday.
– This email will also contain the music playlist for class, so we have the option to experience the practice music in the highest quality possible.
– During this first 30 minutes I will answer any questions/ you will have time to sort out the technology from your side.
– Class will begin at 18:00 UK-time and last approximately 75 minutes
– During the live class participants are required to turn off their audio and video sharing so as to optimise streaming quality. I will offer short opportunities for questions/ requests/ clarifications to be typed into the live chat.
– After the class is finished, the recording will take a while to process and then the link will be emailed to all participants.
– If you wish to select option 2 and receive personal feedback on your practice videos, you should film yourself practicing for around 1 minute per week (during class if that makes things easier time-wise!), send it to me via youtube or similar and I will offer some feedback. If you wish to do 2 medium chunks or one bigger chunk for feedback, that works also, up to 4 minutes of footage during the course overall basically.
To sign up: Click Here
Virtual Private Classes, Teacher training and Practice Video review
I am also available for any of the above, drop me a line and let’s set something up!