Jazz From Afar LIVE 2021 (March edition)
A learn-from-home 4-week African American Vernacular Jazz course with Cat Foley for Lindy Hoppers and Jazz Dancers! The theme is: Embodying Jazz Rhythms
15 min Simple breakdown of ‘root’ move(s) for that class, suitable for newer dancers
45 min Open level material
15 min Challenge zone!
We’ll be exploring:
– OG African American dancers and musicians, history and cultural context of the Swing era.
– The joy of moving to music.
– Exercises to build up classic moves and how to put them together excellently.
– How we express rhythm through our body and how we interpret music.
Wednesday March 10th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Wednesday March 17th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Wednesday March 24th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Wednesday March 30th 18:00 UK time/ GMT
Follow this link for more info and the google form to sign up!
Option 1) Follow-along classes (of approximately 1 hour per week) streamed live AND recorded, plus a weekly Q&A session for additional support.
Option 2) The above plus feedback on your practice videos.
We are living in tricky times, so I am offering for you to self-select your fee. If you’re struggling financially, I’m open to offering it as a cheer-up gift! No worries at all- just talk to me about it.
Option 1) Suggested contribution approx £20-£30
Option 2) Suggested contribution approx £30-£40
– I will send an email with a Zoom link to all listed participants at 17:30 UK-time every Wednesday.
– This email will also contain the music playlist for class, so we have the option to experience the practice music in the highest quality possible.
– During this first 30 minutes I will answer any questions/ you will have time to sort out the technology from your side.
– Class will begin at 18:00 UK-time and last approximately 75 minutes
– During the live class participants are required to turn off their audio and video sharing so as to optimise streaming quality. I will offer short opportunities for questions/ requests/ clarifications to be typed into the live chat.
– After the class is finished, the recording will take a while to process and then the link will be emailed to all participants.
– If you wish to select option 2 and receive personal feedback on your practice videos, you should film yourself practicing for around 1 minute per week (during class if that makes things easier time-wise!), send it to me via youtube or similar and I will offer some feedback. If you wish to do 2 medium chunks or one bigger chunk for feedback, that works also, up to 4 minutes of footage during the course overall basically.
To sign up: Click Here
Virtual Private Classes, Teacher training and Practice Video review
I am also available for any of the above, drop me a line and let’s set something up!